Are you a Nigerian professional seeking exciting career opportunities in the United Kingdom? This comprehensive guide will provide you with detailed information on the process of obtaining a work visa, specifically the General Work Visa (Tier 2). From required documents to application procedures, we’ll cover everything you need to know to successfully apply for a work visa from Nigeria to the United Kingdom.
A Comprehensive Guide to Obtaining a Work Visa from Nigeria to the United Kingdom
Eligibility for the General Work Visa (Tier 2):
1. To be eligible for the General Work Visa, you must meet the following criteria:
- Have a valid certificate of sponsorship from your UK employer.
- Demonstrate that you are being offered an appropriate salary for your job.
- Provide proof of your English language proficiency.
- Show evidence of personal savings to support yourself upon arrival in the UK.
- Possess a valid Nigerian passport with at least one blank visa page.
- Submit documents reflecting your travel history for the past 5 years.
- Obtain a tuberculosis certificate.
- Provide a criminal record certificate if your job involves working with vulnerable individuals.
2. Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS):
To add to your visa application, you will need a certificate of sponsorship reference number from your UK employer. The certificate of sponsorship is an electronic record containing your personal details and information about the job you have been offered. This reference number is valid for three months from the date of issuance.
3. Visa Extension:
If you wish to extend your visa, you must meet specific criteria:
- Continue working in the same job as when you were granted the visa.
- Remain employed by the same employer who assigned your certificate of sponsorship.
- Continue receiving an appropriate salary.
You can apply to extend your visa for up to five additional years, as long as your total stay in the UK does not exceed six years. The extension process typically takes around 8 weeks.
4. Visa Application Requirements:
To apply for a work visa from Nigeria to the United Kingdom, you will need to provide the following documents:
- Valid Nigerian passport with at least one blank page for the visa.
- Completed and signed visa application form.
- Two recent color passport-size photographs.
- Financial documents, such as bank statements, proving you have sufficient funds to support yourself.
- Proof of accommodation for the entire duration of your stay in the UK.
- Evidence of the purpose of your visit to the UK.
- Travel medical insurance covering the entire duration of your stay.
- If traveling with a minor unaccompanied or with someone other than a parent or guardian, a signed letter of consent from the parents and a copy of their biographical passport page.
- Proof of paid visa fee.
Obtaining a work visa from Nigeria to the United Kingdom is an exciting opportunity for Nigerian professionals seeking career advancement. By adhering to the detailed requirements and following the application procedures outlined in this guide, you can increase your chances of a successful visa application. Embark on your journey towards a rewarding career in the United Kingdom today!